Laaady in reeeeeedddd!
I still have to hem it and adjust the straps, but I am excited to share my this one. After letting it sit in my pattern stash for a few weeks, I finally dived into By Hand London’s newest pattern, the Georgia dress. And what a perfect project to follow up my challenging (and still unfinished) Burda off the shoulder dress. This fantastic pattern came together in two evenings, which included tracing and cutting my size. It was so easy, and very well drafted. My measurements fit the hip and waist measurements on their size chart almost perfectly, except in the hips. The hips were a little tight in the finished dress, but I expected that because my hips are about a half inch bigger than the size chart. Also, I didn’t use a stretchy material like they recommended, which would have helped. My bust was a couple inches smaller around than the size chart, but all I had to do to fix this was to tighten the straps a little in the front. Easy peezy! Usually, I have gaping in the underarm area with most patterns that are a little large in the bust, but not with my girl, Georgia!
While I was attaching the skirt to the bust, I noticed that it wasn’t quite lining up to form the “crisp point” the instructions talked about. On closer inspection, I realized that I had attached the bust piece upside down! It wasn’t too noticeable in the way the skirt hung, and fixing this would mean ripping out the lining where I had already trimmed the seam allowances, so I decided to just roll with it. Or rather, bounce with it. It definitely resulted in some va va voluptuous cleavage!
I like the way this dress could be casual, pinup-y, or formal. There are so many possibilities! I think I have a new go-to pattern.
Side note: I haven’t done a photo shoot since my mom had me model for her eBay vintage clothing business in high school, so it felt really weird taking these photos. Thankfully I had a very patient photographer–thanks, Eugene!