Hej Hej! After a couple months of hibernating, I looked outside and saw that it was spring, so I decided it was time for a new post! Well, I haven’t just been hibernating, we’ve also had some big things going on. Like moving our wedding from Scotland to California. We had planned a lovely castle wedding for June, but it all got to be too much pressure on us and my family, so we talked to my parents and agreed to get married in the fall close to my hometown. I spent two straight weeks rediscovering the joys of planning yet another wedding from abroad. I was researching venues 24/7, booked an awesome one, and have been busy nailing down some of the other details. After all that, I decided to take a break from sewing, and everything else! Phew, wedding planning is very consuming!
Anyway, with the big details out of the way and the save-the-dates sent, I finally started a(nother) new project, based on the bodice of Lekala 5212. I’m still in the cutting phase. I also have made an Elisalex muslin and have put my Monthly Stitch Miss Bossy Challenge for March on the back burner because I was overthinking how to resize the vintage pattern, but I will get around to it. I have always been one to just dive into a pattern head-first, without measuring the pieces or making adjustments, so I think trying to do it the right way overwhelmed me, because I froze up a bit in the process! While I am working on finishing one of these, I don’t want to completely abandon my blog, so I thought I’d share something I made last summer.
This is such an easy pattern to put together! I lined the bodice and enclosed the zipper in the lining. I do not know how I did that, because this was one of my first zippers and I was just kind of faking it til I found the Sunni’s Craftsy class on zippers last fall and learned out how to do it properly.
Pattern: Simplicity 2444
Fabric and materials used: I used around 3 meters of cotton fabric I bought ages ago when I lived in Montreal, from a little fabric shop run by a sweet old couple who had terrific prices. I just love the roses!
Things to try next time: I had a fit issue with this, probably thanks to my narrow shoulders–there is gaping at the underarms, which seems to happen to me a lot, and a lot of gaping at the chest. It makes me wonder–do I have a hollow chest, or is it just the pattern? I think I may try using this gaping neckline adjustment tutorial from Phat Chick Designs next time I make this to see if it helps.
New Skills/Lessons learned: I only used the bodice, and did my first full circle skirt. Hemming that was a little time consuming, but I am glad I know how to do it now, thanks to this Colette tutorial.
Would you make this again?: Yes, when I am in the mood to make a muslin and adjustments! It’s a very flattering pattern thanks to the waist darts.
I wore this dress out today, for an impromptu Easter Monday picnic on Vanadislunden. Eugene and I were cleaning the house to prepare for my lovely friend and maid of honor’s visit this week, when he looked out at the sunny weather and suggested he prep a picnic. He made us some nice sandwiches, which the dog tried to steal, and we stopped and bought beers and chicken drumsticks at the grocery store.
We found a nice sunny spot on the hill, next to a building which looks like fortress, but is actually a water reservoir. Vanadislund is a pretty neat place with a large dog park, playground, church, and it’s where a lot of locals come in the summer to picnic, sunbathe, exercise, and walk their dogs. A lot of people had the same idea as us today.
It was wonderful, and the dog had fun too! 🙂 I hope you had a nice Easter weekend, and happy sewing!